March 27th - March 30th

 March is drawing to a close, but it still seems a lot like winter at Asylum Lake. I keep waiting for more signs of Spring, but it seems to be coming slow. 

There's still some snow on the ground, but there was lovely sunshine to start the week









A Bluebird was sitting out in a tree by one of the birdhouses. I think they are starting to think about nesting now and trying to claim the birdhouses before the Tree Swallows arrive. 



Down by the lake a Mute Swan is still putting in an appearance. There are days when he is there and other days when I don't see him. I am hoping that some swan takes residence at Asylum over the summer. It's always lovely to see the cygnets especially when the parents are teaching their babies to fly. 











He put in an appearance several days in a row, even posing with a Canadian Goose. It's amazing to see the difference in sizes



It's also nice to see the Pied-Billed Grebes back again. They are frequent visitors in early spring. These birds are quite shy so they usually move away as soon as I get close enough for a photo. 



It was lovely to see another Wood Duck up in the trees. I love this time of year. It's surprising to see them up in the trees, usually I hear their squeaking sounds before I see them. This one is the male. He's very bright and colourful, his feathers arranged in a patchwork pattern. 



The daffodils are still popping up through the dead leaves. Soon the woods will be full of them. 



I saw the Pileated Woodpeckers again, but not at the tree I had hoped they were building their nest in.  They were in a different part of the woods. 






It's good to see there is actually a male and female Pileated in the woods. Even if they don't build their nest where I hoped at least there is hope that there will be babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.