May 22nd - 31st Lakeside

I had a refreshing week away spending time with my daughter in Minnesota. I got to spend time at the National Wildlife Refuge near her, saw lots of birds and wonderful wildlife. Now it's back to my walks at Asylum Lake. I'm excited to see what has changed in just a week away. 

Things have certainly grown while I've been away. I can immediately see the difference. Down at the lake, things are hopping. I saw my first set of Wood Duck babies. Their mother was being really careful with them, keeping them close to the shore and away from prying eyes. 






There was still a female wood duck around. Perhaps she didn't lay eggs this year. 

I'm thinking that the Red-winged Blackbirds have babies in nests. I watched as this female caught lots of bugs in the lake. 
















A male Red-winged Blackbird singing his heart out




It was nice to see some Mute Swans stop by too. I hope they stick around! Every time I see some stop by I hope they choose to make the lake home so we could see some babies. 






The Kingfisher was hanging around this week too. Love hearing his call. 



And a toad hanging out by the edges of the lake



All around the lake things are getting a lot greener.















It's that time of year when there are so many shades of green, all fresh and new, when every day things seem to sprout up everywhere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.