May 8th - 14th Great Horned Owls

 While I was out walking one day this week a couple stopped to say hello and told me that they had just seen an owl. They were nice enough to tell me approximately where they had seen it. I walked that way not expecting to see the owl. They usually fly off pretty quickly when they see people. I was delighted to find the owl still sitting there. It was a young owl, just fledged. I kept my distance, gave it space and took some photos. 


















I turned around to look to see whether I could see the parents. I imagine they were close by but there are a lot of trees around. I did happen to look to a nearby tree and saw another owl still in the tree. What a delight to see! 



These are Great Horned Owls. I have see some around the lake before but not young ones. 

Great Horned Owls are really lovely owls. They have tufts on their ears and bright yellow eyes. Usually I know one is around when the crows and blue jays are making a racket. I've seen crows harass an owl and it's not unusual! They are the heaviest of owls in the US and the second largest. They have a really big appetite and are opportunistic hunters. 

I was thinking that seeing them was just a one-off thing and they would be off hiding somewhere else in the vast woods, but I managed to see them again. 













I saw the adults around on the other day I saw them. Not the greatest photo, but I had to include it! So wonderful to see four of them!



I am hoping to see more of them. They really are such beautiful birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.