February 13th - 19th

 It's been a while since I've seen rabbits at Aylum Lake. In the summer months we see them a lot, but not for a while. I caught glimpse of one through the bushes just before he hopped away, white tail flashing. 



Spring is coming, slowly, but it is coming. There were several times throughout the week when I heard the sound of cardinals signing. They have quite distinctive mating calls. This male was singing his heart out. 



 

There were cedar waxwings still gathering in the trees, travelling from one berry tree to another to find food. 





The lake is still frozen though there are geese flying over checking for open water. They have yet to find any. I can hear them squawking their displeasure. 




I saw a couple of hawks flying far above overhead, looking for food. 



There were, of course, deer sightings this week. 



This one did not look amused!

There aren't any plants growing yet, no sign of green. There is still a lot of snow. Nothing poking through yet. I take pleasure in the flora where I can. 

I really love seeing the Queen Anne's Lace filled with snow



And these berries (maybe bittersweet?)



One of my winter favourites is the Sumac Tree. I love how red it gets in the winter! It attracts all kinds of birds that love to feed on it. 



Another week closes and we are closer to the end of February than the beginning. The days are definitely seeming a little longer now. The temperatures should be warming up any time! I can't wait. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.