May 1st - 7th - Birds at the Lake

There were lots of other lake birds to be seen this week. 

I was excited to see a Green Heron! They aren't around too often. Last year there were a couple who hung around the lake all year. Whether they had babies or not, I never saw any. They are beautiful birds. I love how colourful they are - not just green, but red and yellow. At Asylum Lake they tend to be quite shy. 






He was quite intent on trying to catch something to eat! He didn't stay around long even though I kept my distance from him. 

There were a couple of Blue Herons around this week too. 









Blue Herons are larger than Green Herons. They also aren't as shy! They are such patient hunters. I love watching them as they become ultra-focused on catching something to eat. 

Another bird that I saw at the lake this week was a Spotted Sandpiper. I don't often see these. Once in a while I catch a glimpse of them out on the point or on the platform. 



They are funny to watch, as they walk, they bob their back end up and down. 

Another visitor this week was a pair of Blue-winged Teals. When I do see them it's usually at the far end of the lake, far from camera view. This pair came into the waters by the point. 



This is the time of the year that birds stop in on their way to somewhere else. Another visitor this week was a pair of Sandhill Cranes. When they are flying they look quite prehistoric - the noise they make sounds like it too!








In the last couple of photos, you can see a Red-winged blackbird swooping in trying to keep the cranes away from nests, perhaps. 

Speaking of Red-winged Blackbirds there are plenty of females around now. 









As well as lots of males




Before leaving the lake and heading up into the woods and the fields, the beavers will have a post of their own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.