June 1st - 4th Down by the Lake

 It's all a go down by the lake. This week has been warm - in the 70s (21c) and the nights fairly mild 50f + (10c+). Down by the lake the turtles have been out. I saw this large snapping turtle laying eggs in - of all places - the beaver lodge by the path!



Unintentionally, I must have surprised it as once it saw me it tumbled down the lodge and fell with a splash in the water!

The lodge is quite impressively large, though I am pretty sure it didn't hurt itself



The beavers have been out and about. You can see where they are starting on a new tree! Yikes. 



And one that has already fallen




I did catch sight of one of the beavers this week 

And more turtles 




This one is a Painted Turtle. It is the most widespread of turtles in North America.  I see them quite often, especially in the spring time during egg-laying season. 



Another Snapping Turtle. These are quite prehistoric looking turtles. They are freshwater turtles and can live from 30-40 years! In the winter they burrow beneath mud or vegetation. They are named for the way they bite. Snapping turtles can eat anything from a tadpole to a snake or even a cygnet or goslings. There seem to be a lot of them at Asylum Lake. 

Down by the lake the irises are starting to flower at the lake's edge. I was wondering if they were going to flower again this year as the lake has been so high the place I usually see lots of them was flooded recently - and for a while! 





There seem to be a few of them around, though mostly yellow in this one spot. Sometimes there are some purple ones too. Perhaps on the other side of the lake. 

Near the water's edge dragonflies are starting to appear. I'm sure the Red-winged Blackbirds will enjoy them!

So far this year, I've only seen the Eastern Pondhawk



I love how delicate their wings are, almost like finely made lace curtains. 

It's been another varied week at Asylum Lake. Seems like time is marching by. It will almost be midsummer soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.