June 5th - 11th Woodland - Fawn too!

I'm starting this week off in the woods. The temperatures this week have been about the same as last week. There were a couple of rainy days, but mostly dry and mild. In the woods I saw lots of the usual. 

Chipmunks-a-plenty









Lots of squirrels too









And a log full of Black Walnuts - something the squirrels love 



The woods seems to have become a favourite resting place of the numerous deer to be seen at Asylum Lake. As I walk through the path I can see them resting in the shade of the woodlands and eating the leaves from low hanging branches. So many of them and all lovely to see. Most of them are pretty unafraid of me. I'm not moving fast nor do I have a dog with me. I think they sense there is nothing to be afraid of. 


















This post is definitely heavy on deer, but I really like seeing them. These are White-tailed Deer, so named for their white tails that raise up high when in distress. 












If you can stick until the end of the post there is a real deer treat!









And now the sweetest thing I saw this week. A fawn and it's mother



The proud mother, sticking close to her baby 



And the lovely fawn all by itself









Look at how beautiful the fawn is. Its blue eyes are stunning. I've never seen a fawn with such stunning blue eyes before. Apparently fawns eyes start to turn blue at 9-10 days so perhaps this one is still that young. It was beautiful to see, lovely to watch as Mama took her baby further into the reeds close to the lake to rest while she went off. I left them be and went on my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.