June 19th - 25th Birds, Deer, Raccoons and more

 There was a lot to see in the woods this week. As I said last time, it was a hot week this week. I wasn't the only one trying to seek some shade in the woods. 

There was a male and female Grosbeak up in the trees. I see them quite often in a certain part of the woods. They seem to like that area. Perhaps it has a favourite food or it's a good place to build a nest. 






A fun Grosbeak fact - the males will share incubation duties with the females. They are even known to sing while sitting on the nest. That would be a sight to see!

No babies there, but I did see a baby Blue Jay. It was really young. It's beak wasn't formed properly. 




I have a feeling that it was very young. It seemed to be sitting up on a branch okay. Perhaps it had just recently fledged. 

Also enjoying the dark coolness of the woods were some Robins. This one was sitting on a branch quite quietly. Perhaps it has a nest close by. 




Also deep in the woods and really fun to watch were a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers. They were both males and they were dancing around a tree! Apparently, they must be rival male woodpeckers and they were doing a peek-a-boo dance. 

I managed to take a video as well as a few photos. 





















It was really quite fascinating to watch! I actually stood there for quite a while. 

Something else that really had me quite fascinated this week was seeing a group of raccoons, a mother and her babies. They were at the water's edge and then walked further back into the woods, the mother hurrying them up a tree when she saw me walking by. 


















They seemed to be both apprehensive and a little curious. Raccoons have quite the reputation as being quite mischievous.  Indeed, they can be quite the nuisance in the garden but look at their adorable faces! Who could resist? 

Speaking of babies, I saw a fawn again this week. Just a single one. I'm not sure it's the same one I've been seeing. 



I love their spots! Fawns have about 300 spots. It makes for some good camouflage. The spots will disappear when they lose their summer coats. 

There were lots of other deer around, some males, some females. They all seem to be finding the shade of the woods a good place to spend the day. 












I think I've said this before, but I love their fuzzy antlers. I didn't realise quite why they have them. They are deer in velvet. That velvet provides nutrition and growth to the antlers. Really interesting. 

Mid-morning most of the deer are in the woods, but there are still a few in the fields. As I walk back to my car I come across a bunny or two on the trails. Brave of them. There are predators around but the rabbits can easily hop back into the long grasses. 



It's been a really good - and hot - week at Asylum Lake. I've enjoyed the woodpeckers and the raccoons. Midsummer has come and passed. It doesn't seem like that long ago it was winter, and I was looking forward to spring. Now we're on the downslide to winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.