June 5th - 11th Flowers, Field and Birds



Walking through the fields I see a Tree Swallow sitting on the same branch I usually see it sitting on. They seem to like this one little branch right by the first set of two birdhouses that I come to. 




At the next set of birdhouses there are two bluebirds, a male and female, trying to hold claim to one of the houses. 


















I wonder if they will be able to hold onto the bird house or another pair of Tree Swallows will come along to scare them off. 

A little further on, in denser tree growth, I hear an Baltimore Oriole singing up in the tree. I spot a blur of orange. A male. They are a lot brighter than the more yellow coloured female. He's hunting for bugs. 




As I walk back through the field I see two Kingbirds out in the field. I don't often see them out in the field at Asylum Lake. Or perhaps I just don't pay enough attention! They seem to like sitting on the tall grasses. 







Things are growing nicely now, long enough that the birds can sit up and watch from above. 

The flowers are growing too. 




Lots of daisies topped with morning dew. 




Red Columbine. I love these flowers. They are so delicate looking.  I don't see many of them, but how pretty it is!




Hawkweed. I mentioned this last week, but I love this flower too. It is just so vibrant against the green grass it immediately catches my eye. 

A new one for me to see this year at Asylum Lake. It was growing in a shadier area, not in sunlight, but under the cover of the woods. 







Foxglove, also known as Lady's Glove. The leaves, flowers and seed can be fatal if ingested! So pretty, but deadly. 

What a plant to end of this week! One more post for this week. Owls. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.