June 1st - 4th Start of a New Month and Owls

 It's the start of a new month at Asylum Lake. We are easing into the summer months when the weather is sunnier and the air a lot warmer. June is usually a good month. It's not too hot to be bothersome, but there are lots of nice days. I really enjoy walking in June. Usually there aren't too many bugs around either - mosquitoes or the big bitey flies aren't around yet. 

I was out wandering the woods this week and came across the owls. I could hear a different sound coming from somewhere up in the trees. I stopped, looked around, put on my Merlin app (an app on my phone that can tell you who is making a particular bird sound). Great Horned Owls! I was hoping it was the Great Horned Owl babies making the sounds. I haven't seen them since they first fledged the nest. I listened closely to where the sound was coming from and began to quietly walk that way. I stuck to the paths, I didn't want to frighten or scare the owls. 

I stopped just at the top of a hill, turned and saw them. 




Two babies were up in the trees waiting for someone to come and feed them 

























I'm pretty sure this is one of the parents. The ears on this one are more developed and fluffier looking. 






It was wonderful to see them again. They truly are magnificent birds. I'm hoping I will be able to see them again, but now that the leaf cover is becoming thicker they are becoming harder to see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.